The Mariposa Birth Center
We approach birth as a safe, normal, healthy family event.
Why a birth center?
- We approach pregnancy and birth as a normal family event until proven otherwise.
- Holistic, compassionate, evidence based care by California State Licensed Midwives.
- Family and friends are welcome, if you want to have them with you.
- Birthing families make informed choices about their own care.
- We offer a middle ground between home and hospital birth.
- We are “high touch/low tech”
- Birth centers offer a safer alternative than hospital birth for normal healthy women.
- You have the freedom to move, walk, dance, eat, watch movies, play games, hang out, cuddle, relax, do what you want while you labor, in a beautiful, comfortable, homelike setting.
- Gentle newborn care
- Cost effective, usually less than the insurance co-pay for medical care and a hospital birth.
- Continual, hands-on labor support.
Community support and friendship
We are a community of women and families helping each other through the challenges of life. We offer childbirth preparation classes and breastfeeding support groups. Come join us in our community space to talk and learn and hang out together.
"There is no other organ quite like the uterus. If men had such an organ, they would brag about it. So should we." – Ina May Gaskin
Privacy, safety, and comfort
"When a woman births, not only is a baby being born, but so is a mother. How we treat her will affect how she feels about herself as a mother and as a parent. Be gentle. Be kind. Listen." – Ruth Ehrhardt
Our birth rooms are beautiful, relaxing, and quiet. Usually, you will be the only birthing family in the center, so you will probably have the whole 2,000 square foot birth center to yourself! Each room is equipped with a queen-size bed, so there is space for you and your partner. The bathroom features a deep soaking tub for relaxation and pain relief. Our portable birth tubs can be set up anywhere so that you can enjoy the warm water in the birth room, on the deck, or even out in the garden. We provide birth props as needed for positioning and comfort: birth balls, peanut balls, birthing stools, birth sling, and rebozos. We are equipped to manage all of the variations of normal birth and have the equipment and skills to deal with the more complex problems which occasionally arise in normal birth.
Health and Wisdom
"It is important to keep in mind that our bodies must work pretty well. Otherwise there wouldn't be so many humans on the planet." – Ina May Gaskin
We provide beautifully prepared healthy meals and snacks for all of our birthing families. We offer vegetarian and vegan options, and all foods are locally sourced.